The 10 Things I Can’t Live Without
My fiancé, Austin, eschews all attachment to material possessions. This makes things….well, interesting, especially for someone who loves decorating as much as I do. I know he is right not to place too much value in the objects around us, but I can’t help taking pleasure from the soft, plush velvet of my living room sofa or the warm wood tones and clean lines of our dining table. What can I say? I love beautiful things!
Much to my surprise however, he seems to be rubbing off on me. I set out to make a list of “10 Things I Can’t Live Without” as part of The DC Ladies’ Blogtober series, but I had a rather difficult time of it. Turns out there aren’t that many things that are necessary to me beyond my family, good food, and a few indulgences here and there. Nevertheless, I’m sharing my list with you here. Some are frivolous, some less so, but I hope you enjoy this little peek into my life. I’d love to hear your lists as well, so be sure to leave a comment using the link at the top of the post!
(in no particular order)
- My morning coffee. Seriously. I’m like an angry bear whose winter hibernation has been suddenly (and rudely) interrupted until I have some caffeine in me. Austin knows not to expect anything more than grunts and a moody disposition until I have my mug in hand, poor guy! He really is the sweetest.
- Chocolate. In any form.
- My family. Austin, who truly makes me a better person, and our beautiful, adorable son who makes us laugh and melts our heart every day. I would be lost without them.
- Etsy. The best website known to man!
- Snow. I grew up in the mountains of New Hampshire, with storybook winters and glorious, fluffy white powder. I was going to put mountains on this list as well, but realized I have been living without those here in DC for the past three years. So snow it is.
- Travel. I’m someone who loves change and anything new…I get bored quickly if things stay the same too long. Travelling is a breath of fresh air (though ironically, I have an intense fear of planes). Though to be honest, our opportunities for vacations have been few and far between since we had our son. Now that he’s a little older, I’m hoping we’ll begin taking some family trips together.
- Aveda hair products. Swear by them! And what other store gives you a free massage every time you shop there?
- Ikea. The mecca of all meccas.
- English Breakfast tea. No other kind, please. That way I can pretend I’m back living in London, where I really belong.
- Period romances from English literature. Because I was born in the wrong era, and on the wrong continent. Jane Austen especially!
What are some things you can’t live without? If you’re a DC area blogger, tweet them out to @thedcladies using the hashtag #TDCLBlogtober14 and let us all know!